Friday, May 13, 2016
SAINT NAZAIRE, FRANCE — Built at a cost of more than US$1 billion for 5,479 guests in 2,747 staterooms, and weighing 227,000 gross registered tons, Harmony of the Seas was unveiled at a delivery ceremony yesterday in Saint Nazaire, marking the debut of what will be the 25th ship in the Royal Caribbean fleet.
Following 32 months of construction at the STX France shipyard involving thousands of shipyard employees, sub-contractors and suppliers, Harmony of the Seas is now home to 2,100 crew members from 77 different nationalities.
Joining the festivities in the ship’s AquaTheater were Richard Fain, Chairman and CEO of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. and Michael Bayley, President and CEO of Royal Caribbean International together with Laurent Castaing, General Manager, STX France.
“Harmony is truly magnificent in every sense of the word, from her architecture and design to the level of care and attention to detail with which our incredible crew are taking to prepare for our first guests,” said Bayley. “The ship is the ‘best of the best’ of what our guests love most about Royal Caribbean, combined with new and thrilling experiences never before found in one place but it is the passion and dedication of our crew that will make everlasting memories for our guests.”
Added Fain, “Harmony of the Seas is the product of our zealous spirit of continuous improvement, where we have combined revolutionary ship design with the technological strides that have defined the Royal Caribbean brand.”
Among the ship’s ‘first-at-sea’ experiences, Harmony of the Seas offers:
- A 100-foot drop with The Ultimate Abyss, the tallest slide at sea, plunging courageous adrenaline seekers 10 storeys down from deck 16 to the Boardwalk on deck 6;
- 4,700,000 lbs. (2,150 tons) of water in 23 swimming pools, whirlpools, two FlowRider surf simulators and waterslides, including the Perfect Storm, a thrilling trio of waterslides, and the Splashaway Bay waterpark for young guests;
- The first double-storey Wonderland, the specialty restaurant concept first introduced onboard the global cruise line’s Quantum class of ships, “delivering an imaginative and whimsical feast for all the senses”;
- The debut of Broadway’s hit musical Grease in the Royal Theater and diving shows in the AquaTheater;
- 11,252 works of art showcased throughout the ship and Central Park, a living park in the centre of the ship which features a total of 10,587 plants, 48 vine plants and 52 trees, some over 20 feet high; and
- VOOM, the fastest internet at sea, available exclusively to Royal Caribbean guests, which allows travelers to seamlessly stay connected, stream their favourite entertainment, video chat and share their adventures with friends and family at home.
Harmony of the Seas will homeport in Barcelona and embark on the first of 34 seven-night sailings in the western Med on June 7. In November 2016 Harmony will arrive at Port Everglades, FL for seven-night eastern and western Caribbean sailings. The newest member of the fleet will join sister-ships Oasis of the Seas and Allure of the Seas, sailing from Port Canaveral and Port Everglades respectively, on the east coast of Florida.